Thursday, March 27, 2008

Auntie Em's Red Velvet Cupcakes.



Truthfully, I'm a little burnt out on cupcakes. After tomorrow, it might be a little while before I bake again. While I am reaching my cupcake making limit, I am glad I did this challenge. I've baked lots of goodies for neighbors and friends and given myself a reason to finally try these recipes.

Today I made Auntie Em's Red Velvet Cupcakes. This cupcake was featured on the Food Network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay and after watching that show, this recipe has been in the back of my cupcake-trying mind. Sadly, Auntie Em's lost to Mr. Flay, but I still was curious enough to try them.

The cupcakes baked great. Nice round tops, beautiful red color. Very moist. The chocolate flavor wasn't very strong, but the cupcakes were still tasty.

I also decided to cut the cream cheese frosting recipe in half. In the show, you see Terri (the chef) frost the cupcakes with an ice cream scooper -- she is very generous with her frosting. I love frosting, but not that much. The amount I made was perfect.

Overall, quite good. Maybe after my cupcake hiatus, I might have to try this recipe again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to eat that cupcake off the screen.

Heather said...

That looks amazing! Isn't food network fabulous!?

m. said...

what a g r e a t picture!

Veronica said...

red velvet makes my heart sing!!!

Laura said...

those look delicious!

Jessie Evans said...

I remember watching this throwdown and wanting to make her cup cakes... I just might have to try these this week.