Tuesday, March 25, 2008

In Defense of Mom Blogs.

There are some out there who think mom blogs are cheesy. Décor sites are a waste of time. They see some blogs as fluffy and full of useless information. Who cares if little Johnny pooped today? Why does it matter if you like those candle holders? “Really,” they say, “Do you think I want to read about your birthing experience?”

These critics think that everyday stories are boring. Moms are taking too up much of the Internet with bad writing about their own children. I read remarks from these cynical commentators and wonder, “Do you like children?” “Do you consider where you live a home or just somewhere to sleep?” “Have you ever wondered about what it would be like to bring a baby into the world?”

I love blogging and I love mom stories. This may be in part because I am a blogger and a mom. I fit nicely into the mom blog category. I like reading stories of regular people in their regular lives. Sometimes the most exciting thing can happen within the walls of your own home, on any normal day. For example, last night I saw my daughter’s shoes in the hall way and I started crying:


Now, there is nothing out of the ordinary about these shoes. They were a birthday present and they are super cute. Just regular sandals that can finally fit. No hidden flying powers, no promises of amazing skills or height. But they are shoes that belong to a little girl who runs around my house singing, “Puppy, puppy, puppy, pup-PEE!”

These shoes are also supposed to stay off the carpet, but I always forget to take them off Mugga’s feet when we get in the door.

When I saw those shoes I thought, “Those shoes belong to my girl. And she belongs to me.”

This recognition caused me to tear up. To once again remember the wonder of my child, the smiles she flashes when she eats drumsticks, the kisses before bedtime, it got to me. She’s approaching toddlerhood and sometimes approaches my patience limit, but I still love her.

So the sight of shoes made me cry and appreciate a little person in my life. All right, fine. Maybe you’re right. I am cheesy and my life is fluff. Even so, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

12 comments:

Veronica said...

I wouldn't have it any other way either! I don't think there are enough mom blogs out there.

Mariah said...

YAY for mom blogs!! I love it & nothing makes me happier than my little guy so of course I love to blabber about it.

Heather said...

Thank you so much! You have a great blog yourself! I LOVE this last post! I'm not a mom so I don't have poop stories, but I find delight in reading mom blogs and it makes me happy to see that people have normal lives. So thank you!

Molly said...

I, too, have heard people make comments about "mom blogs." The thing is, all blogs serve the interests of the blogger. People who don't like mom blogs just shouldn't read them. It's that simple. There's no sense in them complaining about mom blogs--just stay away!

I don't even have kids, but some day I will, and that's enough for me to completely enjoy mom blogs. Keep it up!

Courtney B said...

I love the mom blogs. You are such a good writer... the way you express the simple things makes them amazing, like they should be, amazing things that are often overlooked. I don't have kids yet, but cannot wait to. I can't wait to have my own mom blog and attempt for it to be as wonderful as yours and the many others I enjoy reading. Thank you for taking the time to look at mine.

Anonymous said...

Last night I had the same experience as I was putting away my 8 year old daughter's shoes. I picked them up, a bit frustrated she had left them out, but then became very sentimental (almost teary) thinking how much those shoes are a part of her--how she enthusiastically runs to catch the bus, runs to greet her daddy when he comes home from work, etc. I just thought how devastated I would be if I lost that child and how I would feel looking at her shoes after...a sad thought indeed, but a very poignant moment for me. Thanks for sharing. I'm hooked to cheesy mom blogs!

amelia said...

I am not a mom yet and LOVE mom blogs. I'll be honest that I REALLY love the well-written ones (ex: YOURS) and read others just to keep in touch. Forget the haters!

the waites said...

I love your blog! check us out at http://www.suneday.blogspot.com/

chloe said...

Not to mention...no one is forcing anyone to read any blogs. Hello. It's YOUR blog, not theirs. Gosh!

Truthfully, there are lots of blogs I don't like reading...so I don't. No big deal. I feel no need to comment on them and tell them I don't like them. It's not like my opinion is the only opinion. I'm sure there are people out there who don't like reading my running posts. Such is life.

Crystal said...

I second (or third) those that said blogs serve the blogger. Why read a blog you don't want to read?
I happen to love yours and it's reassuring to know that moms can still swap child rearing stories with moms from all over the place while the kids are taking a nap.
Lovely post.
:)

heather said...

amen sista!! keep on blogging!

{Erica} said...

Loved this post and totally 100% agree. I dig "mom blogs"....I am one of those that post mostly about my children and I love reading about others and know that other people out there are going through the same thing as me. Totally digging your blog!