Monday, March 17, 2008

Curly Hair.

My daughter, (I'll call her Mugga) has crazy curly hair. She's a hodgepodge mix of Asian and Caucasian and gets the curls from her dad. I am the Asian, my hair falls straight.

All my life I have coveted those with curly waves their head. To wear ponytails that don't slip out of the bands? Blissful! To have ringlets that bounce when you walk? Heavenly. To be the owner of wispy tendrils that gently frame the face? Sigh. What the life that would be.

Well, now that my offspring belongs to that special group, I see curly hair a little different. I'm beginning to realize curls aren't so glamorous. For instance, did you know curls tangle? Like, I-can't-run-this-comb-through-this-rat's-nest tangle.

Not only do curls tangle, but they get frizzy. On their very own! Mugga doesn't have to do anything to get the frizz on. She walks, she runs, she sleeps -- the frizz comes. Sometimes when I get her after an afternoon nap, Mugga greets me with hair that would baffle Einstein. He would take one look at her and say, "How did you get hair crazier than mine?"

Mugga's hair (on a good day):

My hair (every day):


Now, I take back my jealousy to all those with bounce in their hair. I'm sorry you have to live through things like frizz, tangles, and endless supply of products to tame your wild locks. One day when Mugga is in junior high and is suffering from a bad hair day, she might come to me in tears.

"Why me mom?" she might say. "Why do I have this cursed hair?"

This is when I will look at my beautiful curly hair daughter, give her an encouraging smile and answer, "I don't know sweetheart. Blame your dad."

5 comments:

amanda said...

i too wished i had curly hair all growing up. i sort of still do in a way, because there are certain haircuts i want that only look good if your hair is naturally curly. (sigh)

i guess, though, it is easier to go from straight to curly with a curling iron than curly to straight with a straightening iron. or so they say.

michelle said...

our old roommate Julie had the curly haired problem with her oldest.. Stephanie...hmmm curly haired people want straight hair and straight haired people want curly..why can't be happy?
ps.. your little girl is the cutest thing EVER!

Chris and Jamie said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have been trying to tell everyone for years curly hair is way harder than straight hair. If I want to lay down and take a nap with my kids during the day, I have to lay in such a way that my hair is not disturbed. Not comfy at all but worth the effort so not to have to fix my hair again or it become flat in the wierdest areas.

Crystal said...

I'm glad you posted this because i wanted to see what the back of your new 'do looks like. Very nice!
And don't fret. Those curly locks of hers will be so much fun when you're able to get them into some ponytails. SO cute!

Veronica said...

hahaha...I totally identify with this!