Monday, March 31, 2008

Challenge: Log Off.


This past weekend, my husband (I'll call him Axel) ran downstairs and found me at the computer. 

"Babe!" he says. "Mugga is so cute right now. She's playing in the curtains and I got some great pictures."

"Mmmhmm..." I reply. 

I am working on a writing assignment/surfing the net. Much too busy to see what's going on in the rest of my house. Besides, its the weekend. Axel is home to help. Most of my time on the computer is spent with good intentions. I am a freelance writer, so I do a lot of work right here at this very desk. 

Unfortunately, my attention span is quite short when it comes to staying on track at the computer. Especially when there is a sale at Banana Republic to check out online. Or dinner recipes to look up. Oh, and don't forget about all those great blogs to skim.
Later that day, Axel shows me the pictures. They look a little something like this:





It was a small happy moment that I chose to ignore. I missed out because -- like usual -- I am plugged into the computer. My time online is good. I research products I like. I get new ideas, I keep in touch with friends. 

I realize my time online could be better. It might be best if I limit my internet use entirely.

This week I've decided to reform myself. I'm restricting my online use to 30 minutes a day. This will give me enough time to check my e-mail. Put a blog post in. Do a quick blog catch up. See what else I can do with my day.

I started these challenges to motivate myself to complete projects and become a better person. This week, I'm going to see what my off-line life has to offer. 

5 comments:

amelia said...

WOW - you have so much more will power than I do. My excuse is "Oh, well I have to do a lot of work on the internet" but clearly in my work hours, I am checking blogs (like now!) and then, by the time I go to bed, realize I basically spent the entire day working on the computer...then surfing the computer. I really want to know how your challenge went!

Jill said...

'Challenge' is definitely the right word for this! I know I spend WAY too much time on the internet. I hope you don't mind if I follow your lead and take on the challenge.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Such a good idea! Really something that I need to do as well.

Cute pics of your little girly, BTW!

Crystal said...

Ha! Axel. I love it.
I am an infomaniac and when I'm not "researching" online I am reading the dictionary and encyclopedias. Both are equally distracting.
Good luck to you!!

f*bomb. said...

I'm opting to not do my hair or change from my pj's in the name of productivity at work.
Of course...I'm reading YOUR blog, so...I think I'm failing there, too.