Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kyotofu Cupcakes.




Out of all the recipes this week, the cupcakes at Kyotofu are the only ones I've actually eaten from my famous cupcake list. Since I've never had a cupcake from Magnolia, Sprinkles, Auntie Em's or Kara's, I wanted to get an official recipe from their chefs. Whatever I baked needed to be the real thing.

So far, I've also followed the recipes meticulously. I've sifted. Used ingredients at room temperature. Measured things exactly. Things I sometimes cut out when I am being a lazy baker. I wanted to be absolutely sure I was following the recipe --this way if the cupcakes didn't turn out, I knew who to blame (not me).

Well, the recipe I found for Kyotofu's chocolate cupcakes might not be their exact recipe -- but after tedious searching online, it's the only one that came close. I also think it could be official, it's from the R&I (Restaurants & Institutions) web site which I don't know that much about.

Kyotofu's cupcakes were voted the best cupcakes of 2007 from New York Magazine and seriously. They are so good. These cupcakes are the best I've ever had.

They are made with soy milk and are so tasty they don't even need frosting--really! So tasty, I went there like five times when I was in New York. If you get a chance to go there, don't bother getting a table. Skip the sit down dessert menu altogether and just order the cupcakes up front. 

Okay, back to the challenge...

In this baking experiment I didn't follow the recipe exactly. The recipe I found is for Green-Tea Chocolate Cupcakes. I omitted the Macha tea powder. The recipe doesn't call for very much, but I'm sure my exclusion made some difference. Also, the baking time in the recipe was way off.

I've mentioned before how my oven is hotter than most, so like usual I decreased the time. The cupcakes weren't done, so I added more time. Then a few minutes more. Then another minute more. After 25 minutes, I think they finally turned out.

Sooo...my Kyotofu cupcakes were both a success and a slight let down. A success because they still taste super good. These cupcakes are a cross between a molten chocolate cake and heavenly souffle. Super rich, decadent and delicious. The down side is that I didn't replicate exactly the same cupcake I remember (the middle didn't rise either), but I'm still happy. It's still a keeper.

If you're ever in New York City, you need to go try one for yourself:
Kyotofu
705 Ninth Ave., New York, NY 10019

6 comments:

Sheela said...

mmm those were some good cupcakes. when i ate them i was like "there's a party in my tummy...SO YUMMY, SO YUMMY!"

brooklyn said...

i find myself drooling every time i read your blog. YUM!

my over it hotter than normal, too, so I always just turn it down 25-50 degrees (rather than baking for less time) so it doesn't bake the outside faster than the inside...just an idea to help the sunken middle.

you are a saint for going through all of this experimentation for all of us cupcake lovers...you know we're going to mooch off your findings. thanks!

Anonymous said...

These were really very close to the original. They'll probably be even closer next time. Amazing!

The ones at Kyotofu were also a little sunken in the middle. It's just the nature of the super fudgey middle.

Kaylen said...

1. I love cupcakes. I am currently wearing cupcake boots to ward off the rain.

2. I love kitschy things. A lot.

3. I am SUPER excited I found a new blog to stalk! Thanks for writing about wonderful things.

julia said...

Of all the cupcakes you've made that one LOOKS the best. I may be partial to anything chocolate that looks dense and delectable, but whatevs.

I just made those lemon lime ones from Caroline's blog w/the lemon curd in the middle and am now loving the surprise inside concept.

Please squish one in an envelope and mail it to me. please?

Jill said...

thanks for the recommendation, i'll have to check this place out. (love your blog)