Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cereal Muffins.



This morning for breakfast I had yogurt and cereal muffins. I've had a recipe for bran muffins for awhile and I've always wanted to try it. Since I don't happen to have any bran cereal on hand, I went with my next best alternative: Cranberry Crunch Total.

Growing up, my parents always bought Total. To this day, I still hate that cereal. It's nasty. No amount of sugar poured over that stuff can make it good. Believe me, I've spent many years trying.

Since I married a man who has eaten grown-up cereal all his life, my cereal consumption has changed over the years. I don't buy Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs anymore. Or Cocoa Crispies. We hardly even eat Pop Tarts in our house (but that's an entirely different breakfast component).

Axel has gotten me to eat cold cereal with more grains and you know. Good for you stuff. It's a gradual process though, he eats Kashi brands, I can swallow down Special K.

Well, these cereal muffins I made today might be a good alternative to adult cereals. At least for me, it's one way I can eat any form of Total cereal. 

The muffins are pretty tasty, they are nice and fluffy and I like the tall tops. Oh, and did I mention, it doesn't even taste like Total cereal?

Cereal Muffins
  • 1 c. shortening
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 qrt. buttermilk
  • 5 tsp. baking soda
  • 4 c. cereal
  • 2 c. boiling water
  • 5 c. sifted flour
  • 1 tsp. salt  
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Pour boiling water of cereal, mix together. Add cereal to shortening and sugar mixture. Sift flour and salt. Add baking soda to buttermilk. Mix half of flour mixture to cream mixture.  Then add half buttermilk to batter. Add rest of flour, then remainder of buttermilk.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full, bake 20 minutes.

No comments: