Sunday, April 13, 2008

Challenge: Crock Pot Cooking.


I know. You're probably thinking, "A challenge for slow cooking? Really?"

Yes, really. For me, slow cookers/crock pots are super intimidating. I didn't grow up using them. The concept of leaving a meal to cook on it's own has always been strange to me. You just throw things in a pot, leave it for awhile, and everything turns out? Seriously?

In the (almost) three years I've been married, I've used our wedding present crock pot, like twice. Both times making chili that's already been cooked (so basically I'm just keeping the food warm).

I also cringe away from crock pot cooking because of my recipe mind block. When I think of slow cooker recipes, stuff like pot roast and stews come into mind. I didn't think anything else was possible. The whole planning-a-meal-6-hours-in-advance almost never happens in my kitchen.

Well, a trip to Williams-Sonoma reformed my fear. One day, I spotted the most gorgeous appliance I've ever seen:
The All-Clad Slow Cooker. It's stainless steel. Six and a half quarts. White ceramic insert.

I suddenly pictured myself making the most amazing food in that slow cooker: Beef Bourguignonne, Braised Lamb Shanks, Pulled Pork Sandwiches. I could be the most amazing crock pot cooker, if only I had that All-Clad machine.

My husband Axel saw me eyeing the shiny cooking gem and immediately puts a halt to my daydreaming.

"You never use a slow cooker," he says disapprovingly.

"But I can." In my mind, I've already measured how much counter space it would need.

"Okay then," he replies. "Use the one we got."

Daydream fades. Oh those husbands. So practical.

Well, fine. For the next five days, I'm dedicating my cooking to all things crock pot. I'll show my husband I can be a slow cooker. Maybe he'll take one bite of my Spicy Country Ribs and be blown away. Maybe he'll realize we need a slow cooker with a 6 1/2 quart capacity. Maybe he'll remember the All-Clad beauty when he also remembers that Mother's Day is right around the corner.

So, here are the recipes I'm trying this week (picked from some of my favorite food magazines/web sites).

Monday: Chicken Stew in White Wine -- Williams-Sonoma

Tuesday: Cheesy Spinach-Artichoke Dip -- Cooking Light

Wedsnday: Spicy Country Ribs -- Real Simple

Thursday: Sour Cream Cheesecake -- Food & Wine

Friday: Beef Provencale -- Food Network

As always, you are more than welcome to join me. Let me know if you decide to try a recipe or two (I always appreciate reviews).

Happy slow cooking!

2 comments:

amelia said...

I'm inspired - I'm going to try one of these, that chicken stew sounds good. We have one as well that I never use...GJ does and makes some awesome food.

Jill said...

my crockpot just sits there taking up valuable cupboard space too... great idea. i hope you get your prize. :)