Tuesday, April 8, 2008

King Size Save.

When Axel and were engaged, one thing I wanted to register for was a king size bed. I am 5'11''. He is at least 6'2''. I didn't think there would be any way we would fit in anything smaller.

On our honeymoon, we got to sleep in a number of beds. Most of them kings, one or two queens. We definitely had more room when we were in a king, but it felt like too much room. Unless I snuggled up in the very center, I could barely touch my new husband. I would have to stretch my legs across what seemed like miles until my toes connect with any part of his body. I might as well been sleeping by myself.

I decided then that a queen would be just right for us. No wide separation and cheaper prices in bedding. We received a comfortable hand-me-down queen from family, and the free bed became the size of choice.

Well, at this moment I am contemplating changing my bed size decision. My little family is out of town, camped in a hotel room while Axel attends a conference. In our room, there is a beautiful king size bed. Last night it did not matter that I could not touch my husband. The miles of seperation was replaced by one squirmy sick little girl. She woke up at 6 a.m. and puked right in the middle of her parents. If we were in a queen, it would have hit me.

A king bed sounds really good right about now.

{I love this bed, via West Elm}

5 comments:

amelia said...

I cannot recommend king-size enough. When we first got married, we lived in small apartments and could only fit a queen bed in the room. When we bought our house, even though a king would look ridiculously large in our bedroom, we bought a king. Oh, it is a little slice of heaven.

...and your puke story! Wow. Puking is the one thing I don't think I can handle as a mom.

Chris and Jamie said...

I think a king is too big. Could you imagine me and chris in a king bed we would never see each other. I am interested in the olympic queen bed. It is about 1.5 feet wider.

veeda said...

What?!? I've never heard of such a thing.

Heather said...

I love my king size. I think if I started out with a queen I wouldn't know the difference, but I definitely couldn't downsize now. I LOVE the one you posted!

amanda said...

pete and i have a king, and i love it. i am definitely not as tall as you (5'2"), but pete is 6'2". i'm always hot, so i throw blankets off. pete is always cold, so he has to have 2-3 blankets at a time. the extra room is for the blankets.

by far, the best king-sized bed i ever slept in was in a hotel in the south called "peabody." they have one in florida and one in tenessee. i don't even know what kind of bed it is, but i think you can contact them to find out. it's like sleeping on clouds.